Camping doesn’t mean you have to skip out on the finer things in life. Sitting around a campfire is a perfect time for nachos and with a little prep before you go, you’ll be enjoying this tasty treat in no time. You don’t need any fancy equipment either, you can make this in your mess kit pot.
- Tortilla chips
- Ground meat
- Taco seasoning
- Beans of choice
- Chillis or peppers
- Tin foil
- Campfire pot or skillet
Instructions At Home:
- Prep and cook your taco meat.
- Dice all your veggies.
- Grate your cheese.
Instructions At The Campfire:
- Assemble the nachos by placing a layer of tortilla chips or sliced potato in the bottom of your pot or skillet.
- Add a layer of toppings, including cheese.
- Repeat the layering of chips and toppings until the pan is filled.
- Add a thick layer of cheese on top.
- Cover the pan with a piece of aluminum foil and crimp it around the edges.
- Place on a grate over a campfire or if you don’t have one you can use a rock near the camp file. Do not place the pot/skillet in the fire or it all will burn.
- Cook the nachos until the cheese is melted and the toppings are cooked. This may take between 15 to 30 minutes, depending where you are cooking the nachos. If it’s beside the fire, rotate the pan/pot so each side gets the heat evenly.
- Peel back the corner of the foil to check if the nachos are grilled.
- Pull the pan off the campfire and enjoy!